Amthal is once again working with local Police and Neighbourhood Watch teams to raise awareness of the seasonal crime prevention campaign, Operation Gnome.
The springtime campaign, headed by Hertfordshire Constabulary, follows latest statistics that suggest a 40% increase in outdoor thefts over the spring and summer months. It aims to encourage homeowners to be extra observant and seek specialist advice to ensure their gardens; outbuildings and allotment sites remain secure.
Says Jamie Allam of Amthal: “With the days becoming warmer and longer, homeowners will be busy taking to their gardens and allotments, and spending time and money on returning them to their former glory.
“Traditionally this is also a time where opportunist burglars are more inclined to target sheds, garages and outbuildings on the search for power tools, bikes and other expensive equipment.
“Such uninvited visitors will also be on the look out for any tools and equipment left in the garden, which could be used to break into homes; for example spades, garden forks, ladders etc. Police advice is to be extra vigilant and use the time now to top up security measures across your home boundaries.”
Amthal supports the following Police recommendations to homeowners:
1. Remember to always lock your shed after removing what you need. Using a two ‘hasp and staple’ lock or an alarmed padlock would be preferable.
2. Consider placing a stand-alone alarm in your shed or garage to alert you to any intruders, or potential threat.
3. Secure your rear garden by locking entry gates with a padlock and / or opting for CCTV, which covers all areas of your property, including the garden.
4. Ensure boundary fences are secure and in good condition. This includes the addition of an alarmed system or simply spikey plants surrounding, which can work as further deterrents
5. Any tools and gardening equipment purchased should be then visibly marked with postcode and house number. This can deter thieves and help police identify the rightful owner should any of it go missing from your property.
6. Locking garage doors securely with metal ‘up and over’ doors, alarm systems or fitting extra locks either side and/or fitting a floor mounting ‘T-bar with closed shackle padlock is of the highest importance when keeping your summer possessions safe.
7. Wooden garage doors can also be secured with two substantial ‘hasps and staple’ locks and closed shackle padlocks.
Jamie added: “Savvy burglars know that homeowners are most likely to keep expensive equipment in garages, sheds and outbuildings. Plus they will use any tools made available to help gain access to your home as quickly and quietly as possible.
“By acting now to install or update home security measures to cover all property boundaries, when the summer finally arrives, homeowners can enjoy the outdoors, and hopefully some sunshine, knowing home and possessions are safe and secure.”
For more detailed advice on the campaign, please visit www.herts.police.uk/crimeprevention
Back to basic security and alarms are the premise to all good security. Amthal will ensure a monitored alarm, or wireless security system can be tailored to your property to keep your assets and possessions safe and protected from any opportunist or professional criminal activity.READ MORE>
If you are responsible for business premises, an employer or self-employed with business premises, responsible for a part of a dwelling where that part is solely used for business purposes, a charity or voluntary organisation or a contractor with a degree of control over any premises, you have a responsibility in relation to fire prevention!READ MORE>
As the world becomes more digital and buildings more intelligent, homeowners and businesses are looking at more efficient ways to secure buildings. Access control enables you total control on who has access to your building. Locks and keys also allow you to secure your building, but when keys are lost or stolen, the inconvenience and expense of changing locks and re-issuing keys can be considerable.READ MORE>
CCTV Installation can let you know who is at your door, help prevent incidents and criminal activity and help protect people and property. Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) works around the clock to help detect and deter crime, providing organisations with vital information. Many existing users of CCTV installation are failing to realise the full potential of their system and the benefits it can provide.READ MORE>
Amthal's team of surveyors and system designers include individuals with industry experience of over two decades, combined with technology specialists who's purpose it is to keep up with the ever changing industry technology, products and integration.READ MORE>
We are regularly audited by the SSAIB & BAFE to ensure all systems we install meet current BS & EU industry standard requirements, Our experienced and skilled staff will deliver the design, installation and commissioning of the entire system.READ MORE>
Preventative service visits form part of our industries codes of practice and are essential to ensure your electronic fire & security systems work effectively when most required. Amthal's service & maintenance contract customers receive priority response for all site and telephone support 24 hours a day 365 days a year.READ MORE>
Amthal partners with EMCS, the UK's leading independent alarm receiving centre. EMCS is approved by the security industry governing bodies NACOSS and BSIA to BS5979 and ISO9000. Their monitoring environment is resistant to any possible attack or power failures. All incoming telephone calls are responded to within 10 seconds!READ MORE>